Monticello Community Historical Society
HOME History Sites
About Us Collection
Refers to Site is on Federal Historic Register. (Virginia School)
Refers to Site is on local register.
Tour Stops refer to the Historic Monticello
Driving and Biking Tour
Monticello Historical Station and Museum at Floyd Cline Hall
23860 W 83rd St, Shawnee, Kansas 66227
This modest building is a telling example of the courage and dedication of American volunteer fire departments. Until 1973, Monticello had agreements with the largely-volunteer Delaware Township, Wyandotte County, and the Shawnee Township Fire Departments that stated if they were able to service a call in the area they would.
(Monticello) Union Cemetery
75th and Gleason, Shawnee
In 1884, the Union Cemetery Company purchased five acres from F. L. and Mary C. Kueker for $275. Yet, with the oldest grave dating to 1860, these grounds were already known locally as a cemetery.
Monticello Methodist Episcopal Church
23860 W. 75th St., Shawnee
Currently United Methodist Church
In about 1850, a new Methodist Indian School, built about one half mile north of today’s church site, began to teach both Indian and White children. Methodist preachers conducted Sunday School and Camp meetings there on a regular basis.
Virginia Schoolhouse (relocated)
7301 Mize Rd., Shawnee
4a. Original Site of Virginia School, 1878. 71st & Clare, Shawnee.
Opened for class in January 1878, this schoolhouse soon became a center for culture and community for people of all ages. Besides being a home for grades 1-8, the little building housed religious services and a Sunday school.
Louis A. Gleason conducted a writing school and the building was home to a Lyceum—a popular 19th century institution where the community enjoyed debates and programs.
Around 1900, when school districts were upgrading their one-room schoolhouses, Virginia added a vestibule to buffer outdoor winds and a place where students could hang their coats, leave their lunches, use the wash basin, and find drinking water. The school operated until 1962. The Virginia School building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in February 2004 and moved a year later to its current location on the grounds of the Mize Elementary School.
Virginia School Class 1931-32
Additional Virginia School Fact Sheet.
“Wild Bill” Hickok Land Claim
8649 Clare Rd, Lenexa
James Butler Hickok became one of Monticello’s first town constable in 1858 and later led a life of western adventures romanticized in print and Hollywood movies. “Wild Bill” Hickok was a slight man with long wavy hair and a bushy mustache.
East on Church Rd on 73rd Terr, Shawnee
First owned by John P. Campbell who received it as bounty land given to soldiers in 1855, this historic landscape reflects the public need for cemeteries on the frontier. In 1859, Campbell sold this parcel to Monticello Township for use as a pubic cemetery.
Monticello Townsite - Township Hall
W 71st Terr and Brockway, Shawnee
7a. Zarah Townsite, 1878.
Monticello was established in 1857 at the crossroads of the Midland Trail running from Westport, Missouri to Lawrence, Kansas and the Territorial Road linking Ft. Leavenworth and Paola.
Round Prairie School (1879-1962)
21315 Johnson Dr., Shawnee
Plaque located along sidewalk east of residence.
Garrett Farm and Park
21500-21705 W 47th Terr, Shawnee
Samuel Garrett was an English stonemason who immigrated to the Monticello are in 1849. Four years later he married Betsey Captain, a Shawnee Indian.
Chouteau Ferry Crossing/ Railroad Station
4506 Lakecrest Dr., Shawnee
In the early 19th century, the famous Chouteau Family Agency of St. Louis operated trading posts along the Kaw River. Frederick Chouteau operated this ferry and trading post for trade with the Shawnee and Delaware tribes.
Additional Chouteau Fact Sheet
Tiblow Ferry Crossing
Frisbie Rd and W 43rd St, Shawnee
The Tiblow Ferry served as a critical link on the trail between Fort Leavenworth, Paola and Fort Scott. Henry Tiblow, was a Delaware Indian whose education and life say much about Indian “assimilation” and entrepreneurship in the 1860s.
Town of Wilder, Kansas
W 47th St and Wilder Rd, Shawnee
Wilder came to life in 1875 on land owned by Peter D. Cook. The new town promised great advantages including groves of trees, an excellent spring, a location two miles from the Tiblow Ferry, and a new train line connecting Kansas City and Topeka.
Clare Rd & W 54th St
In 1860, the Reverend Charles L. Boles acquired 160-acres from the federal government. In 1863, with the death of Elizabeth Boles, he set aside one-half acre in the southeast corner of his land for burial purposes.
Additional sponsored sites